10.07.2011

October 3rd, 2011

Lawrence Kohlberg



In Monday's class we recapped Kohlberg's theory of moral development (originally discussed on the 30th of Sept.), and once we finished that we were asked the question do we think we have been able to reach the sixth stage... and I think I have. 

Kohlberg believed that with each decision we make we fit into one of three levels, each of which has two stages within it. The stages and levels are as follows: 


He believed that very few people ever actually reach the sixth stage, some of which could be: Mother Theresa, Gandhi, Buddha, Nelson Mandela, and the Dalai Lama. This stage is just as described... the people who reach it do so by making their decisions based on their personal beliefs without allowing social norms or public opinion to influence them. 

Out of the examples the one I closely relate to is Nelson Mandela, I believe he is one of the most selfless, compassionate, free-thinking, and motivated individuals to ever walk the face of this earth. I have tremendous respect for him and what he has done for South Africa. If I can even manage to make half the difference he has in the world, I will have achieved my life's goal. 

Having said that.. I do think that in some of my decisions I have been able to reach the sixth stage of moral development. I firmly believe in helping those who need to be helped, regardless of social opinion. A great example of this could be the fact that I volunteer at CAANS (the Central Alberta AIDS Network Society). Some people, who are too quick to judge, assume we are helping addicts to continue using drugs with no regard for public safety... but I really don't care what they think because they couldn't be more wrong. I chose to start volunteering at CAANS because I wanted to make a difference in my community, I wanted to be one of those people who others could come to for help and have to be afraid of being judged. Yes, drugs are harmful and dangerous... but it is ultimately each person's right to choose whether or not to do them.. and if someone does choose to do them it does not change who that person is, it does not make them a horrible person. The bottom line is drug users are people just like everyone else, with families just like everyone else, and they deserve respect and support JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. And so, I feel that by continuing to volunteer at CAANS, despite being told I am "no better than a crack dealer" on some occasions, I have been able to reach the sixth level of moral development. 

I do realize that many people will not agree with my choice to help these people in any way that I can.. that is their opinion which they have every right to express; however, I will caution anyone who is contemplating making their opinion vocal: I am very firm in my beliefs and I will defend them. 

Thank you for reading... I know I veered off into somewhat of a rant, but thank you to those who kept reading!

Sincerely,

Natasha


No comments:

Post a Comment