10.07.2011

October 7th, 2011

The Intelligence Quotient

or


In Wednesday's class we began to discuss IQ testing, specifically testing on children and whether or not we agree with it being done. Personally, I am on the fence but, before I tell you why, let me explain how IQ testing actually works. 


The IQ Equation: a person's IQ is determined based on the score they get on a test... but it's not that simple. The test determines their MA or Mental Age, that number is divided by their CA or Chronological Age and then multiplied by 100. So, if someone's MA is 10, and they get a score on their IQ test that is equivalent to that which a 10 year old might get, that's 10 divided by 10 which equals 1, and multiplied by 100.. which would give the child an IQ of 100.   Therefor, the mean score for IQ testing is 100, anything less than that is considered below average and anything more than that is considered above average. 


Now that you know how a person's IQ is determined, I can explain why I am on the fence about testing children. 


First, a person's IQ is never constant; it does not stay the same throughout their whole life. In fact, a person can take the same test one month apart and score differently; therefore, it is not truly accurate. An IQ test can only measure a person's performance on that specific day at that specific time and under those specific conditions.  


Second, a child's results can hugely impact their future performance. For example, if a child does well he may become so overconfident that he no longer feels the need to study as hard, which could result in his grades dropping. Or, on the other hand, if a child does poorly on the test he may lose all confidence and no longer see a point to studying, which again could result in his grades dropping even lower. 


However, as someone who was tested as a child and did score fairly high, I do believe that in some cases IQ testing does serve to motivate students. In my case, when I found out how well I did it motivated me to stay at that level and I think I managed that fairly well. 


So, in my opinion, there are three possible outcomes of IQ testing (2 of which are negative, and 1 of which is positive). A child can become overconfident, discouraged, or motivated. And regardless of their score things do change over time, so the score does not define a child or map out his future. 




Yet again, thank you for reading my sort of rant/ sort of informational blog. :)


Sincerely,


Natasha.

No comments:

Post a Comment